On September 21, 2013 millions of people from all over the world will flock to Oktoberfest in Munich. As beer loving travelers embark upon the festival grounds known as the Wiesn, they’ll experience a memorable event at one of the 14 large beer tents at Munich’s Oktoberfest.
If you like crowds then the large beer tents are perfect for you. They seat anywhere between 4,000 and 10,000 people and each sell beer from one of Munich’s “Big 6” breweries including Augustiner, Hacker Pschorr, Hofbraeu, Loewenbraeu, Paulaner, and Spaten.
Back in the day (1987), visitors could see and ride live horses inside the tent. Nowadays young international visitors, local Bavarians, and celebrities frequent this smallish tent known for its high “flirt factor”, so beware if you are cruising the scene at their upscale Sekt (sparkling wine bar). In this tent you’ll feel out of place if you don’t wear class Bavarian clothes known as Tracht, so get your Dirndl and Lederhosen out of the attic or buy some right away.
- Inside Seats: 3,200
- Outside Seats: 1,000
- Beer: Spaten and Franziskaner
- Music: Die Münchner Zwietracht
- Website: http://www.hippodrom-oktoberfest.de
- See number 1 on Oktoberfest large map for tent location
When you enter this tent, you’ll hit a bull’s eye. Enjoy the marksmen displaying their shooting skills during competition or just sit back and enjoy the staff hospitality, the local Bavarian foods served here, and Oompah-pah music of course. The tent has a forestry feel with prized wall mountings of deer and boar.
- Inside Seats: 5,830
- Outside Seats: 1,600
- Beer: Paulaner
- Music: PLATZ Oktoberfestkapelle
- Website: http://www.armbrustschuetzenzelt.de
- See number 2 on Oktoberfest large map for tent location
If you like crowds and a wild time, this is the place for you! This humongous tent is the largest at Oktoberfest and is favored among American, British, Irish, Italian, and Australian Oktoberfest visitors. Stand in the middle of the tent may get you wet as you are showered with beer by Aloysius, the tent’s beer angel. If you can’t make it to Oktoberfest, visit the well-known Hofbraeuhaus located in the city of Munich which has a great 400-seat beer garden.
- Inside Seats: 6,896
- Outside Seats: 3,022
- Beer: None other than Hofbraeu Muenchen of course
- Music: Plattlinger Isarspatzen conducted by Alois
- Website: www.hb-festzelt.de
- See number 3 on Oktoberfest large map for tent location
This is truly heaven, Bavarian heaven that is! You’ll feel like you’re truly in paradise in this cloud-themed tent. Hanging out in one of the prettiest tents, couldn’t get much better except with local German cuisine such as Bavarian chicken, roasted duck, sausages from their own butcher, especially enjoyed with a liter of Hacker-Pschorr.
- Inside Seats: 9,300
- Beer: Their own brand, Hacker-Pschorr
- Music: Cagey Strings Rock’n’Roll Band, Kirchdorfer Musi
- Website: www.multi.hacker-festzelt.de
- See number 4 on Oktobefest large map for tent location
Don’t know this tent? Well you should! It’s one of the most important tents because this is where Oktoberfest officially begins. On the first day of Oktoberfest, this year on Saturday, September 21 at 12:00 p.m., the Lord Mayor of Munich, currently Herr Christian Ude, will tap the first keg and proudly say “O’zapft is!”(It’s tapped!). Only after these words are announced can the other tents start serving brew. Unlike the benches in other tents, Schottenhamel has square bench tables so you can easily converse with the entire table.
- Inside Seats: 6,000
- Outside Seats: 4,000
- Beer: Spaten and Franziskaner
- Music: Otto Schwarzfischer Blaskapelle
- Website: www.festzelt.schottenhamel.de
- See number 5 on Oktobefest large map for tent location
This tent is also favored among celebrities; this tent is beautifully decorated with authentic Bavarian items. No wonder it takes 90 days to set up this tent and 30 days to deconstruct it. Even though inside seating is numerous, you will feel cozy and right at home.
- Inside Seats: 8,450
- Outside Seats: 2,450
- Beer: Paulaner
- Music: Die Nockherberger
- Website: www.winzerer-faehndl.com
- See number 6 on Oktobefest large map for tent location
Since 1926, people have been flocking to this tent each year located near the Bavaria monument. Not only does it offer a great atmosphere, but the house specialty Spanferkel (suckling pig)—a melt in your mouth delight. As with the other tents, they also offer vegetarian dishes.
- Seats: 5,440
- Beer: Loewenbraeu
- Music: Die Niederalmer
- Website: www.schuetzen-festzelt.de
- See number 7 on Oktobefest large map for tent location
Seven large beer tents down, only seven more to go! If these tents seem too large for you, read post on the small beer tents at Munich’s Oktoberfest.