After telling my Germany family and friends about the Hollywood story of the the Classic American Cobb Salad recipe, I decided to quickly make one for them. Luckily I had the ingredients on hand and only had to boil the eggs and cook the chicken breasts. We decorated the salad together and let me say, it was very well received–and devoured.
The classic American Cobb Salad is a beautifully composed array of crisp leafy salad greens blended in a Dijon dressing, moist chicken breasts, ripe-red tomatoes, a buttery avocado, hard boiled eggs, blue cheese, topped with watercress.
The beauty of this Cobb Salad recipe is that it’s quick to prepare and there a limitless ways you can present it whether in a glass bowl or in a platter displaying the vibrant colors in strips, squares, or as you wish. In addition, you can cook and chop the the items ahead to have more time with your guests.
Total Time: 15 min
Prep: 15 min
Yield: 4 servings
For the Dressing:
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Honey Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 drops of lemon juice
- Pinch of brown sugar
For the salad:
- 6 cups romaine lettuce or mix of colorful/crispy salad greens; torn apart
- 12 cherry tomatoes, seeded and halved
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled Roquefort or Blue cheese
- 5 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 1/4 cup watercress, thick stems removed
In a small bowl, whisk together all of the salad dressing ingredients and set aside.
In a large bowl toss the salad greens and the salad dressing. Place the salad greens onto a large serving platter. Place the tomatoes down the middle to form a long row. Next make two rows on the outside of the tomatoes using the chicken, avocado, eggs, blue cheese, and bacon.
Serve on salad plates with sliced bread and your favorite beverage.