Follow the simple Flammkuchen recipe below and you’ll receive rave reviews when you present family and friends with an authentic Alsatian Flammkuchen.
Basic Flammkuchen Recipe (Tarte flambée).
- 1-14-16″ really thin pizza-style yeast crust of your choice (frozen, fresh, non-gluten, or homemade)
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 3/4 – 1 cup (150 – 200 grams) of crème fraiche or sour cream
- 1/2 cup (110 grams) lardon, matchstick-cut pieces of bacon cut from the belly of pork
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh or dried thyme (optional)
Be creative as you can and make sure to enjoy the journey!
- Strasbourg (Alsatian recipe above and slices of Munster cheese).
- Veggie Flammkuchen (Cherry tomatoes, olives, onions, mushrooms.)
- Greek Flammkuchen (Feta cheese, green olives, spinach, red onions, dried Basil)
- Pre-heat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Place the prepared dough on a pizza stone or oven rack covered with baking paper.
- Spread crème fraiche evenly onto dough, leaving 1/2 inch of outer edges free.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste on top of the crème fraiche.
- Sprinkle the chopped onions evenly over the crème fraiche.
- Next sprinkle the pancetta bits on top of the crust.
- Place the Flammkuchen in the pre-heated oven and bake for about 8-10 minutes or until crust is crispy, but not too burnt.
- Garnish with fresh or dried thyme.
Note: As oven temperatures vary, you’ll need to carefully watch the Flammkuchen or it will indeed be a burnt mess – baked in the flames.